Sunday, November 25, 2012

Ekskybalauron

Meaning: gold out of dung.

Usefulness: 2 (Admittedly, limited to this blog. I've never said it aloud, and I'm not entirely sure how I would pronounce it. Update: was used to describe the emergence of an apartment from renovations, and I realised it could also be used for financial instruments in which dodgy debt is bundled up to appear attractive. If I work out time-travel, I'll go back about ten years and set up the Ekskybalauron investment firm.)

Logofascination:  2 (Sir Thomas adapted it from the Greek - the work is more commonly referred to as The Jewel, from the beginning of its extremely long subtitle. For more on the topic of gold and dung, and a helpful dissection of the etymology, see here.)

In the wild: the Laudator Temporis Acti piece referred to above, and as a label on this here blog.

Degrees: 0

Connections: n/a

Used in: well, Ekskybalauron, obviously.  On the frontspiece Sir Thomas adds some Latin, and this humble antiphon:
O thou'rt a Book in truth with love to many
Done by and for the freest spoke Scot of any.

No comments:

Post a Comment