Monday, September 3, 2012

Fletiferous

Meaning: causing weeping

Usefulness: 1 (maybe that's just me...)

Logofascination: 2

In the wild: nothing, which surprises me a little. A lovely polysyllabic term which can be applied to everything from onions to cads to tragedies, and yet it turns up only in dictionaries.

Degrees: 2

Connections: fletiferous - weep

Which is used in: G&P, Second Book III: Of the grief wherewith Gargantua was moved at the decease of his wife Badebec. Pantagruel is born, but his mother dies, and Gargantua tries to use logic to work out what he should be feeling:
"Shall I weep? said he. Yes, for why? My so good wife is dead, who was the most this, the most that, that ever was in the world. Never shall I see her, never shall I recover such another; it is unto me an inestimable loss!"

No comments:

Post a Comment